Wanda S Brown

February 1, 1932 - November 16, 2021

Service Date:

A Graveside Service will be in the spring at Riverside Cemetery in Springvale.

My Mom just passed away. I have been with her since going to visit her in rehab on August 29th in the early afternoon. Mom was legally blind and a homebody, so she was scared. I stayed with her until she was released to my care in my home with tremendous help from Hospice. She passed today, November 16, 2021, at 3:55 am.

This time with her has been absolutely amazing. In this time, she learned how very much we all loved her. She developed an incredible, caring, relationship with her daughter-in-law, Diann, during this time as she also helped care for her. We heard all her worries and cares and just how passionate she was about every one of us. My Mom has always lived in running thoughts and those thoughts were announced from the time I got to rehab until just a few days ago when she could no longer speak. She loved with every fiber of her being.

During her time with us, family and friends came to sit with her and reminisce, and then just to sit with her. She was surrounded with love nonstop, and she knew it. We had phone calls and messages from loved ones near and far with the common theme, “Please tell her I love her.”

In the last moments of her life, I asked her to please finally rest. She was still working so hard. That is all she is ever known. I told her how amazing my childhood was and what a great Mom she has truly been. She wanted a house in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors. This meant her children got endless summer days on the lake with both friends and strangers, wild, rough trails through the woods, baking homemade bread with the entire Brownie troop, heating with wood fires built with the trees from our land, Thanksgiving dinners with an overstuffed house, Christmas Eve’s with loved ones we did not see often enough, and hours with her in her rocking chair next to the wood stove.

Cream puffs, Match Game, old movies – so many old movies, Shirley Temple, fresh bread with honey, hot breakfasts every morning, full meals every night, hanging out in the breakroom in the basement of the bank, too many card games with friends to count, and what I thought were endless hugs…Mom and Dad dancing.

Mom is already missed dreadfully. I am so thankful for this time. I cannot express how honored I am that she felt comfortable and loved in my home during her final days.

Here are the facts:
Born February 1, 1932 to Gerald Spring and Eloise (Jones) Spring, in Kezar Falls, Maine. Wanda passed peacefully after a lengthy, yet relatively pain free illness. Wanda had no doubt of the love that remains with family and friends who will miss her every day.

Growing up, Wanda moved with her family thirteen times in her first 13 years pursuing her father’s work in the mills throughout Maine and New Hampshire. Wanda often spoke of her father’s insistence that her mother stay home with their children while he often worked two to three jobs, while her mother took in sewing and laundry and made all her children’s clothes.

Anyone who knew Wanda heard her stories reminiscing about growing up in Bethel, Gorham, New Hampshire, Fryeburg, and of course, Springvale, during the depression years with uncles, aunts, cousins, and many friends in simpler times when days were spent reading with her mother, playing kick the can, and tin can alley with friends, and seeing every movie ever made throughout the 30s and 40s.

As her daughter Judy once wrote, “At 27, and with a phone call, you became a mother.” Wanda fought hard to make David and Judy hers forever.

After marrying Franklin, (with three children of his own,) in 1967, fully renovating a farmhouse in Alfred, Maine, and having three children together, they moved to Hawaii, then Salt Lake City, Utah, where they became members of the LDS church at which time, they renewed their vows and were sealed as a family for eternity, returning to Maine in 1976.

Wanda started working at the age of ten caretaking and housekeeping. Upon graduation from Sanford high school in 1950 Wanda eventually moved into banking working at several institutions in Sanford, finally spending the bulk of her career with Key Bank in Springvale where she trained new employees joining the bank. Mom helped to install and maintain the first ATM in Maine. They hired two people to replace her upon her retirement in 1990, when she lived in her home independently until her need for palliative care. This is the home that she and Franklin built in 1976.

She is survived by her sister, Claire Osburn, son, David (Sandy), daughter, Judy, daughter, Amy (Diann), daughter, Audry (Todd), daughter Becky, son, Mike, daughter, Connie (Chris), nephew Jim (Linda), nephew, Gary (Sarah), niece, Cathy, niece Debby (Phil), and many grandchildren, great grandchildren, great nephews and nieces, and cousins. Wanda had one Granddaughter, Ryann (Luke, and great-granddaughter, Rylee), who grew up going to Grammy and Grampa’s house every day throughout her childhood.

Wanda was predeceased by her parents, her husband, Franklin Brown, their son, Jeffrey Franklin, her brother Merle, son-in-law, Paul, and many friends and family she often spoke of with much love.

The family wishes to thank the nurses, aides, and staff with Beacon Hospice for making it possible to keep Mom comfortable at home for her end-of-life journey. With special thanks to Beth, Jenny, Heather, John, and Heather.

In the spring, a graveside service will be at the Riverside Cemetery in Springvale.

In lieu of flowers, please consider donating in Wanda’s name to St Jude’s Children’s Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105

The Autumn Green Funeral Home is respectfully handling arrangements.

Send Condolences